Vale Rob Richards-Mousley.
6/8/1930 – 16/9/2019
For many of us the years are a lifetime, but for one man, the years are just some and a few more.
Robert Richards-Mousley, a young Sheep anager, loved shooting.
In May of 1958 he decided to join his local long-range target shooting club of Menindee, a small town east of Broken Hill NSW.
shooting calendar of 1958 to 1961, Rob was their club champion.
He also took on leadership rolls and was the in the years 1959 to 1962
In October 1961 Rob travel to Adelaide, SA and enter the S.A.R.A Queens Prize shoot. As an unknown from the bush, Rob entered as a ‘B’ grader and won a tidy sum of one pound, (which would equal $32 today) automatically had him upgraded to ‘A’ grade.
Rob relocated from Menindee NSW to Adelaide SA 1962joined the Adelaide Rifle Club, one of ten clubs residing at the Dean Rifle Range in Port Adelaide.
In 1962 Rob was able to shoot the HEASLIP lead up matchas it was known then also 1962 SARA Queens. That year he was victorious and won the HEASLIP Lead-up event. Rob also won this event in 1980
Competing in the HEASLIP lead-up events Rob won 2 x first places, 2 x seconds, 1 x third place plus 15 HEASLIP spoons.
Over the years as a Target Rifle shooter Rob was presented with SARA Queens 3rd place plus 17 other numbered SARA Queens badges.
Rob has participated and shot at an ‘A’ grade level after changing disciplines to F Class Standard in 2006 -2007. We feel this is a very rare and unique milestone.
Rob was also one of SARA’s oldest competing members, at the age of 88
We knew that Rob intended to shoot the 2019 SARA Queens he had all his ammo loaded and prepared. Due to a hiccup with his health in June 2019, sadly Rob was unable to take on the challenge.
- Robert Mousley represented Australia in Team Shooting 7 times – Bisley, Palma Match USA, Canada, South Africa x 2 and New Zealand x 2.
- SARA TR State Teams & F-class State Teams 26 times as shooteraptain orOf those was 6 times
- 1967 Winner of the Hahndorf KINGSHIP
- 1972 Winner of the very first National NRAA QUEENS in the ACT
- 1989 Winner Broken Hill Rifle Club Centenary Shoot with a perfect score
- 1972/1973 SARA Rifle Man of The Year
- 1973 News-Caltex Sportsman of the Year
- Approx. 45 Queens Badges including Dominion of Canada Rifle Assoc. Badge
- Rob competed on more than one occasion in every Australian Queens over his shooting careerSA, QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS, WA, ACT, NT.
- Australian of Sport Level 3 Coach
- SARA President
- F-Class of S.A. President 8 years
- SARA Council
- SARA State Selector
- No1 DRA Grading Selector 35 years
Away for the Movement
Rob worked for some time with the South Australian Film Corporation.he made a working gatling gun for the “Robbery under Arms”, which is now in the SA Police museum.
Rob made his famous leather bolt bags of which I’m sure thousands were made and owned by people all over Australia Rob also crafted timber rifle stocks and did some armoury work.
Rob spent many a year assisting Rostrevor on bush expeditions.
His skills were needed on some of the excursions as he assisted constructed monuments to early explorer in Arkaroola and on Mt Woodroffe in the Musgrave Ranges
A member of ARPA 4WD Group for over 20 years.
An avid ornithologist Rob was member BIRDS SA for 30years
- No1 DRA
- SA F-C
The Mouse was still shooting perfect scores
at 700 metres in August 2019 before he retired from life.
The friendship chain is broken now,
but your sporting memories will live for ever.
Now, legend of our sport.